Thursday, February 4, 2010

sucking up the subtle way

Here's an idea. When you're writing a paper, do you honestly say what's on your mind, disregarding what your teacher might think?

Case in point: In my Global Studies 197 class on Cultures and their Global Entanglements, our course coordinator is obviously against (economic) inteconnectedness aka Globalization aka free trade, which, being an Econ major, I'm predisposed to tolerate, if not welcome. I can tell she really loathes it, even when she doesn't show open hostility when the topic is brought up, because she keeps showing us films like The Corporation, Bordertown, and Manufactured Landscapes, which show the butt-ugly side of globalization.

Despite being shown the ugly truth, however, I still write reflection papers for globalization. I can't help giving it "the benefit of the doubt", given people like Muhammad Yunus, and concepts like positive-sum theories, and teachers like Dr C who say we should keep sending OFW's abroad because they're the only ones keeping this country afloat. I have never considered writing a paper against globalization - before now. I briefly toyed with the idea of seeing things from Ma'am's POV even once because, after all, some "side effects" of interconnectedness really are vomit-inducing, and I really do want her to think I have some semblance of a heart. The disgusting fact is I don't want to clash against her. I'm non-confrontational, after all.

What I'm trying to ask is: Do most students write papers that really contain what they think? Or does a large fraction of the student population write papers that are "doctored" so they're forced to fit with the teacher's line of thinking? It's a pointless question in the UP case, but I was wondering how essays were done elsewhere...

0 comments: