Saturday, November 28, 2009

A Millionaire's First Love

Summary: Han Jae Kyung is the heir to a large estate that he's set to inherit upon turning 18. There is, however, a condition: that he transfer to a high school in a rural town and stay there until he graduates. In that tiny, close-knit town, he meets Eun Wan, who later on becomes his first love. The conflict is that she's got a serious heart condition, and she might not live long.

Okay. I'm sorry for that frenzied summary. I'm watching Do Re Mi Fa So La Ti Do as I type this, and be cause I'm very distracted by the rather attractive (and that's a euphemism) Eun Gyu - who just might be that trumpeter guy from Beethoven Virus - I can't concentrate very well on reviewing a movie that left me disappointed.

A Millionaire's First Love starts off promising - the editing for the beginning is very crisply Jdorama-like, and then there's Eun Wan's enigmatic entrance, which makes the viewer want to watch on just to know exactly who she is. All the way until Jae Kyun transfers to Rural High (which should have been renamed Ghost High due to the pathetic number of students in it) the movie seems interesting, but after the scene where he's forced to eat dinner with a classmate's family, it loses its appeal.

I kept watching a little after that though, because I was wondering if it would redeem itself by adding more punch to the storyline. But noooo. Until the very end (and I skipped, which I rarely, almost never, do) it stays predictable and unbelievable and ineffective in movie the audience. Unless, maybe, you're a hopeless romantic.

Overall, I'd give this movie 1 star. The lost four stars evaporated because of: lack of originality (I mean, an old template can be told some other way, right?), an unconvincing Eun Wan, very slow plot "development", and ordinary score. The lone star does to an effective Jae Kyung - lead guy from My Name is Kim Sam Soon - and for sheer effort.

0 comments: