Friday, March 19, 2010

Generation Alpha

Read about it in Reader's Digest Asia March 2010. Supposedly, it's made up of kids born starting 2010 until the next 15 years. These "on-the-way" babies are expected to be more tech-savvy and materialistic than their immediate predecessors, the children of Generation Z, and I agree with a comment on the magazine about that thought being "scary".

So anyway, I was reading the article and one bit in it irritated me. The description of people born under Generation Y, like me, was flighty and transient... the "me now" generation. I won't deny the accuracy of that assessment - one look at the rest of this blog, and you'll see just how self-absorbed I am - but the most depressing thing is just that: its accuracy. It nailed the actual state of things in two right-on-target phrases, and we can't blame whoever wrote it because it's true.

Who wants to belong to a generation deemed superficial AND selfish to boot? I certainly don't and yet I am.


0 comments: