Thursday, March 11, 2010

ghost hunt mysteries

Again, my habit of reviving the long-dead love for a long-forgotten anime at the most inopportune time, aka a few days before a major exam, is kicking in. For the past two days, I've been waking up every morning to the image of JC Staff's Ghost Hunt, which I firmly believe is one of the best anime series ever.

Shame though, 'cause it lacks closure. BIG TIME. The first time I watched the series I was left at a loss, so I had to spend a couple of hours searching the Net via my very slow dial-up collection just to quench my thirst for answers. For those who are wondering, and might be reading this, here are the answers to some questions regarding Ghost Hunt that might be bothering you.

Why does Naru react so badly the first time Mai calls him Naru? Moreover, if Naru is a nickname given by Mai, a new acquaintance of Naru, why does Lin Koujo call Naru Naru?That's because Shibuya Kazuya's nickname is Noll, which is read as Naru in the Nihonggo. In truth, Naru's name is Oliver Davis, the renowned psychic who is constantly praised throughout the anime. Why a child named Oliver would have a nickname of Noll... is a different story.
Regarding the effectivity of the curse that plagued Naru during the After-School Spellcaster Arc, my theory is that his Japanese name is Shibuya Kazuya, but after he and his twin brother Eugene were adopted by the Davises, his name was changed to Oliver.
Whoa! Naru has a twin brother?!Yes, actually, it's Eugene, Naru's apparently kinder brother, who appears in Mai's dreams. In fact, in the original story (not the anime) when Mai confesses her love to Naru, the latter says it's his brother that she's in love with, not him. Eugene is also the person refers to when he tells Mai of someone who once told him the same thing Mai said: Hate me because I'm me, not because I'm Japanese. Apparently, Eugene died in a car accident in Japan, which is why Naru is in Japan in the first place - he's looking for his brother's body.
So Naru's weakness... the one Masako uses to blackmail him...?It's the fact that Naru is Oliver Davis; a secret he wants to keep hidden, which is why he's so aloof to the media. Masako once saw him at a public demonstration of his PK abilities, so she knows his real identity.

You know, writing this, I realized it's pointless answering questions this way. If you'll read Ghost Hunt's Wikipedia page [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghost_Hunt] you'll find the answers to most of your questions by reading the character profiles. So hop hop! Go on, find the answers, and join me in praying for a second season!

0 comments: