Monday, May 3, 2010

the bored and the ornery

That's the name of a certain Maiko (MaixZuko) community on fanfiction.net. Right now, I really want to read through the fics they've archived, but I can't. Because the nearest, decent internet cafe from our flat charges 20 shekels per 1.5 hours. That's 200+ pesos devoted solely to Facebook and keeping FnQ together - a vain attempt.

Life in Israel is actually pretty swell. Gorgeous people - seriously. Tel Aviv is like a scene out of Europe, not the Middle East. Walking to the net cafe I'm at right now, one passes through more clothes-boutiques than all other shops combined. At least that's what it seems like. Also, every woman who flits past is decked in what would seem in the Philippines like fitting nightlife wear. I don't mean promiscuous, or Gossip Girl-worthy, just... so fashionable it's slightly surreal.

I am in constant danger of being run over by bikes, of getting sniffed by dogs - both of which are abundant in the streets of Tel Aviv. The people from the building next door have a balcony overlooking our bathroom - and I didn't notice that until two weeks after I got here, spending more than 30 minutes on my daily showers-cum-meditation sessions. I am desperate for Nissin Cup Noodles, Fuji apples and seafood. There is an excess of what Auntie Fely calls pita bread, but really, I never liked bread.

Israel is beautiful. It really is. But I've yet to see more of it. So far, my favorite out of all the places I've been to with my family that one day we actually went out for sightseeing is Mount Tabor, where the disciples sought refuge after the death of Jesus Christ. I truly wish I could properly describe the feeling of driving up that mountain in a narrow, two-lane street. The whole time I was thinking the car would fly off the mountain and crash hundreds of meters in the city below.

I am not thinking straight. Seriously. Maybe, just maybe, I am bored and ornery due to my own lack of initiative to find something interesting to do with my summer. I am looking forward to more of Israel, and although I always argue with my family, I sincerely love them to bits and do not mind living under the same roof as them. But I know that our living situation (wake up at 10, sleep at 12, eat, bathe, watch TV in between) is not helping my sanity. I am going insane here. Almost.

PS. I used to think Tel Aviv was the capital of Israel. Actually, it's not. It's Jerusalem.

4 comments:

Tea said...

haha inggit naman ako sandy. parang gusto ko tuloy pumunta ng israel (at kumain ng pita bread nila dyan, kagaya ng kagustuhan kong kumain ng shawarma sa saudi xD).

ang saya siguro magtravel all over the world pero kelangan ng pera, pera, pera!

haha kasing mahal ng net sa new zealand ang net dyan a. and i think sa s. korea rin, mahal. tsk tsk.

Anonymous said...

actually, mahal halos lahat dito. di ko alam kung bakit - may farms naman sila. pero yung yogurt na paborito ko, sa philippines, almost 50pesos. nakakabaliw talaga.

mag.ipon tayo! kaladkarin natin ang PC, tapos hitchike tayo sa Europe!

Tea said...

Magdala ka ng currency nila dyan and I'll trade my Vietnamese Dong for that (kung wala ka pang VND).hehe

Oo ba! Tapos para magkapera, we'll work on odd jobs while on a trip. That would be fun! (Sana matupad 'to.hehe)

alexandria said...

hmmmm. parang amazing race lang ah! sige, sige. magdadala me ng shekel. dalhan mo rin ako ng dahon please?