Friday, January 28, 2011

My Future is Like Koko Krunch


And I doubt I even spelled my future right. 0.o

Afternoon. I rushed to the tambayan because Julian had scheduled another round of Harana Express promo | pakapalan-ng-mukha-for-a-cause, this time by the Chem Pav. I got to FC first, but when I texted him, he said he was still at the Job Fair. And I didn't mind the 'gig' being cancelled - just trudged back to the tambs.

I got there before he and Ands returned from the Job Fair, bearing company freebie pens and stories about how they got rejected-at-first-sight because they had apparently graduated from the wrong course. And as Luka, and then Mer, joined the conversation, I just sat across the table from them, trying to focus on Volume 1 of True Philippine Ghost Stories, trying to ignore the fact that I haven't even considered sending my resume to any companies.

Truth is, I don't want to weave the corporate circuit. I love the power dressing, and the power lunches, and the power tripping - so much drama, like Gossip Girl for adults - but it's not the type of world I see myself carving my name into. Truth is, I've only considered two career tracks in my life: teaching, or becoming a glorified bureaucrat.

Scratch the first option, obviously. Although I love teaching, seriously, there is nothing I'm good enough at that I can share to other people - because who'd pay 3K to listen to someone rant about how twisted the Onii-chan no Koto series is? And, well, even if I knew how to teach, to quote the lovable [albeit fictional, sadly] Lucas Pineda, "the salary is (sic) the pits." Unless, of course, you teach in the Ateneo, or somewhere else just as considerate.

So joining the government is my goal now. I really really want to work for the Philippines. Never mind the slow promotions, and our infamous brand of corruption - I've seen my parents at their jobs for as long as I can remember, and they seem to be having kick-ass fun making people's lives better. As for the money... well, it's not as if I'm planning to get married anyway. So no kids' tuition, no car installment, and on weekends off I can actually plant vegetables in my imaginary backyard to sell for extra income.

... The point is ...
How do you tell people you think you're about to graduate from the wrong course? I don't think it's a case of me not studying enough, and being a lazy bum - I'm just one of those lax personalities who don't put effort into anything they don't find particularly appealing. And believe me, I've tried to find Econ appealing. I've tried fooling my inner child, I've tried reading Freakonomics. But my inner child's too whacked to think pragmatically, and Jenny never gave my copy of Freakonomics back. Basically, Econ is not my future.

And the million dollar question: What is?

5 comments:

pichie said...

what exactly is a glorified bureaucrat? it sound soo good! pwede pud ko ana? hehehe. and you just bashed my profession! but the thing about the salary is painfully true to be ignored.
seriously, you go teach if you want to. your country needs you. Obama said so. puahahaha XD

ellefnuJy said...

i'm happy that you plan to work in the government. to serve the Filipino people that's what UP is teaching us. tama jud na sands :)

pambansangbruha said...

@te pichie: i DID not bash your profession! *grits teeth, rawr* (1) it's not your profession yet; (2) it's not a profession, it's a mission; (3) i actually said i like it, only i'd suck at it if i tried it.

@jumpies: ikr?!?! dream jud nako ever since bebeh pa ko. i guess that's what you get, growing up with parents like mine.

Katherine Grace Catipay said...

Love the point! being a economics major who shifted to Journalism in her third year, I totally understand what you mean. All the companies I applied to told me I'm not qualified because they need corporate junkies.

Btw, I also tried to be a glorified bureaucrat (glorified because even though the system sucks, you jined just because of the sense of service) earlier this year. I was supposed to be a Municipal Secretary if it wasn't for my knees giving up on me on the second day. The pay was good mind you, you can still own a car and a house if you don't plan to marry and have kids.

alexandria said...

@te kath: at least you actually realized what you want to do for the rest of your life early on, diba? ;;X sigh.