Sunday, October 7, 2012

Junk Selling

I despise selling things to people, and much prefer calling companies to inquire regarding the progress of potential organization-business collaborations. I hate going up to people and shoving random food items under their noses, intoning the overused phrase "May I interest you in what I have to offer?" in various languages, moods and intonations. 90% of the time I am asked to sell something, I end up buying said things for myself. Never a good thing, as too much sushi and concert tickets can drive a struggling student to the teenage version of bankruptcy.

If I had PET bottles this pretty, I wouldn't sell them.


In any case, for an application process for an organization, my batch mates and I have been required to raise PhP6,000 through an Income Generating Project (IGP). It actually sounds easy, and it easy - just not when you cram your buying and selling and stuff. The batches of applicants before us apparently had cake raffles, cookie sales, and a portable store of all things nostalgic - think tex, chinese garters, etc. Our batch, Hayabusa, aside from selling random food things like homemade mochi and stick o's, chose to sell our junk.

Here is an estimate of how much one can sell things around the UP Diliman area:

PhP7.50/kg of white paper (aka Goodbye, Readings, Goodbye)
PhP1.00/kg of ordinary paper (and here I was beginning to think Trash did not discriminate)
PhP20.00/kg of PET bottles
Php0.05/piece of tin cans (like Asahi Beer, and whatever Beer)

We found our junk shop near one of the Hardins in the UP Ikot Route. Before the Ikot goes out of UP, aka before it drives past the UP Centennial Dorm, stop at the nearest Hardin right in front of the Yellow Basketball Ring. And then ask the locals where the junk shop is. It is literally a stone's throw away.

0 comments: