Friday, November 23, 2012

26 na tao sa volks


I hear that ICTUS has been joining the Annual Upsilon Carstuffing for about ten years now. Supposedly, we've placed eight times out of those ten, and our organization's management claims we've been Carstuffing champions for four straight years now. K and I have qualms over whether this is actually our third or fourth one, but in the end the figures don't matter.

We run for a greater purpose. To give glory to the Father, to bring smiles to kids' faces.




Roommie L, who participated in tonight's Carstuffing event and was subsequently forced into a fetal position under the dashboard, asked what ICTUS means when it cheers, "For the Kids". It was a difficult question to answer. How do you encapsulate 31 years of compassion into an objective ten-minute speech? And so I merely ended up saying something inadequate - and hardly enlightening - like, ICTUS lights the way for future generations of Filipinos by putting emphasis on the importance of education.

If I could, I would tell her how many hours we spend with kids each week, teaching them how to make decisions for themselves, opening the doors of faith for them, trying to become surrogate brothers and sisters who only want what is best for them. Not just because they're Filipino, but because they're human. They have a right to happiness and learning just like everyone else, only I'm not sure they realize it.

It is ICTUS' responsibility to make sure they do.

And yes, I should have told my roommate all that.

0 comments: