Sunday, December 2, 2012

Fresh Selections

Fresh Selections 
Maginhawa corner Magiting Street 
In front of Mini Stop 
UP Teacher’s Village, Quezon City 

R and T and I met for lunch today, and since R hadn’t been around the QC area so much after the Boards, T suggested that we try the new restaurant that popped up at Teacher’s Vill. None of us had ever eaten there before, by the way. It was a safe experiment then, because there was almost zero possibility that any of us would feel over-exposed to the food.



Ambience
R commented on how the front of the shop looked remarkably extra clean, for something still within the UP territory. It reminds me of a donut shop, mainly because its marquee has the same shade of green as Krispy Kreme. The interior design was very nice – obviously done by someone very young, as the wall hangings looked like they came straight out of Tumblr.

The door to the bathroom was difficult to open though, as the toilet was just a diagonal nook in the restaurant, and the wall was set at a strange – albeit interesting – angle. T laughed at me as I struggled to open the toilet door, but then I suppose that’s my punishment for having laughed at her when she tried to do the same before me.

Food
T and I ordered Lemon Chicken, only I added an extra order of Plain Congee. R ordered Pork Tausi, and she and T had Nai Cha as well. R and I agreed the Congee was very good despite supposedly being plain. I enjoyed my Lemon Chicken immensely, and although I had been meaning to ask T about what she felt about the dish, she was too immersed in her ardent half-attack, half-defense of the fourth season of Glee to be able to think coherently.

Their bestsellers are Lemon Chicken and the Tausi dishes, apparently. I know because R asked. They accept the JMA Power Card, too.

Budget
Carrying PhP100 will do. A lot of the dishes are surprisingly very affordable for such a sanitized place, and the presentation defies the price, too. My bowl of Congee, for example, was under PhP50.00, and it still looked much better than airport food. I like that.

Service
The nice thing about Fresh Selections is that it actually encourages interaction between people. [The tables have signs that say things like, “Share a Table, Make a Friend.”] There were families there, who left as soon as they were done eating, and then there were people like the three of us, who stayed there for hours talking about Rachel McAdams and the Zoren-Carmina Wedding. They’re pretty welcoming to everyone.

Recommended for
I think that being a fast food-type restaurant, it’s not the best place to go to for an intimate discussion. Bring your fun-loving barkada, and a healthy appetite instead. I guarantee they will give you good value for your money.

Website
Fresh Selections on Facebook

Photo Credits
Bobot Dolfo for Fresh Selections on Facebook

2 comments:

Haha♥ said...

Nice, mej mabagal service nila nung una. Pero masarap talaga yung lemon chicken, dami pang servings!

alexandria said...

Benta nga yung lemon chicken, pero bumalik ako recently para itry yung special noodle soup. Hindi ko maexplain. Masarap naman daw siya sabi ng friends ko, pero di ko trip. ;;( Although, YES! Super sulit sa servings.