Sunday, December 2, 2012

Ramen X

Ramen X 
Space 2087, Level 2
Trinoma, Quezon City 

D and I wandered here because she Googled the restaurant’s menu online, and decided she wanted to try their ramen. I don’t know how she first heard of it, or if anyone she knows had ever eaten there before we got to, but it was a remarkably no-fuss experience even with both of us clueless about what the place had to offer. Even though Ramen X is technically a high-level restaurant given it’s in a mall, the whole space had a laid back atmosphere that made it almost inevitable for customers to just relax and to enjoy the food.


Ambience
The first thing we noticed after we sat down was how the tables were set according to Japanese standards of distance. The whole dinner, while the two of us were trying to make conversation, it was slightly difficult to hear each other because the table was so wide. I appreciate that novelty though; the whole of Ramen X is full of it, from the arrangement of the tables with many of them smack in the middle of the shop, to the way everyone seemed to be eating together in a large cafeteria, only separately. It was like being in the set of a JDorama.

I also appreciate how they played genuine Japanese songs. I really hate it when I go to a Japanese-themed establishment only to hear KPop in the background, as though the management feels their customers can’t tell the difference.

Food 
D ordered Kimchi Ramen and Milk Tea, while I went with Pork. The pork cutlets were exquisitely tender by the way – I think it’s safe to say they’re the type to feel like they’re melting in your mouth. The noodles they used were strangely original, too. They were slightly crispy. Maybe I’m not used to them because I tend to prefer soba when I eat out.

D liked how the ramen didn’t give her a headache. Having come from a house where the dishes are prepared with MSG, she claims to have migraines when there’s too much preservative in a dish. [I come from a house where MSG is a no-no as well, but my taste buds aren’t very sensitive.] She liked the milk tea, too. Our dishes and her drink were in surprisingly large sizes, so we felt very full and satisfied.

Budget
You’ll survive with PhP200. That’s one large bowl of basic ramen, which is more than enough.

Service 
There were a lot of J-Rock types there, but there were ordinary Filipino people, too. At a table a bit to our right sat a group of teenagers with guitars and strange hairstyles, and I liked how their exuberant rendition of the birthday song for one of their group didn’t in the least bother the staff and the other people in the restaurant.

Water is a serve-yourself affair.

Recommended for
I think this is a good place for large crowds of friends to gather. The food servings are large and affordable, and the place allows you to be just yourself.

Website
Ramen X Philippines

Photo Credits
Animetric on Blogspot

0 comments: