Sunday, December 6, 2009

kittens

There's a kitten screaming for help through my dormitory window. Sometimes, I think it's not a kitten - sometimes it sounds like a mother cat giving birth. Sometimes it shuts up, and so I think it's died and has gone to kitty heaven. Just as I start thanking the heavens for that though, it renews its racket, and I bury my face in my pillow.

It's hard being alone in the dorm during weekends. Normally, I wouldn't mind, because I like the silence. But sometimes, I have sleepless nights, and I toss and turn, and my bed creaks as wooden stairs do in horror movies. If you add something as crazy as a cat yowling away within your hearing range, it's nearly impossible to fall asleep, even after reviewing half your class notes.

Last night I heard someone knocking. At first I thought it was that weird insert ad they have in Yes! Fm, but then, I heard it twice - the sound of someone knocking from the other side of my window, but knocking on wood and not knocking for me. What was freaked me out above all was the fact that the whole knocking sequence happened just a little past 2 in the morning, a while before the usual roof-banging and furniture rearranging noise-making happened.

The loneliness I like in Kamia comes with a price, it seems.

And for the record, I realized of all the early morning noises Kamia can provide, the one I despise the most is the sound of a kitten meowing unceasingly. It reminds me of its helplessness, and my own helplessness as well.

0 comments: